Saturday, January 10, 2009

Postcards from the Edge

Postcards from the edge

This is the third year I've participated in Postcards From The Edge - a huge art 2 days event, with about 2,000 postcard size art pieces by different artists and creators. A great opportunity to donate art, which usually inspire me to make art, and to have a piece in a Chelsea gallery, which is always nice.

In the past couple of years, going to the opening night felt very awkward and horrible. I felt at the same time both not belonging and humiliated. It's hard to be a part of the crowed and realize, I'm just one among a sea of artists trying to make it, while at the same time realizing how much I'm not taking part in the art scene and wonder whether I even stand a chance of making it as an artist without that sort of connections.

It didn't help that in neither the 2 past shows, my piece was not sold and I got it back (while Ned's actually did sell, so I couldn't even write it off as people having bad taste in art).

This time it felt very different. I guess that selling a lot of art this year on Etsy, made the whole issue of whether this sell or not very small and almost not as important. I didn't feel like I was a part of the scene, but I didn't feel like I'm about to get yelled at and be forced to leave the gallery either.

Postcards from the edge

My postcard!

Postcards from the edge

No comments: