Monday, October 11, 2010

home




A really horrible morning, in which I had a scary dream, woke up early and then lifting a box I haven't touched in a long time, discovering a nest of baby cockroaches then throwing out half the food in the house just in case, and putting borax on everything else.

Then the shelter called at about 1:00 PM and told us we can come pick her up at 5:00. We went through a cleaning frenzy trying to get the studio ready, getting rid of a lot of stuff and trying to find proper places for a lot of stuff that's usually just piled up.

I went into the city to pick up a dog crate and those piss pads for puppies, then we went into the city together.

It's very very strange - she's beautiful and sweet, but a real baby, and we don't know her yet, it's hard to figure out what she needs and want, why she's crying what is interesting for her.

She was really scared to be outside, but after 3 attempts at walks, she circled the block, with many stops to smell stuff, wanting to run after each person, and freaking out from car noises and the vibrations of the train.

After the 3rd walk and a big piss and shit success, she was running, skipping and playing and looked perfectly happy. then fell asleep and haven't moved since.

I'm really scared to make mistakes, and somehow hurt or mess up the training. Ned and I keep saying "she needs to learn" or "she needs to know". I know it's not going to be easy, and that it's going to be frustrating in the next couple of weeks, but for today, I'm so happy and feel very accomplished even though I didn't do any work or took care of anything aside of feeding, walking and making a dog take a shit.

2 comments:

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

That's actually quite a challenge, so you can feel very good about yourself. And she looks so adorable! I wish I could take a dog now too, but I am away from home too much.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, congratulations! What a cutie! Having a dog in the city... I can't imagine how much work that would be, making sure to be around enough for potty-outings? It's not like here, where you can just let a dog out on its own...

"Who let the dogs out? Woof, woof, woof!" Good luck with her, what a doll!