Sunday, April 26, 2009

Illustration Friday - Theater

butterfly&woman

The word of the week for "Illustration Friday" was Theater. I used to love theater in high school, I don't really like acting but I love studying the plays and history and going to the theater to watch plays.

One of my favorite theater genre is "comedia del-Arte" which is basically the root of all modern comedy.The characters are almost always the same, and the plots are very similar, the show doesn't really follow a script but just put up a story guideline that allow the actors to make fun and joke and improvise all the time.

In this illustration I wanted to not only show the characters of the play, but mostly to give the feeling of a theater - the way that theater is a little perfect world of it's own, and so I created a couple of shadow boxes made of paper showing a few of the characters from Comedia del-Arte.

There were supposed to be 4 pieces in this series, but, building stuff out of paper is a pretty fragile thing and one box didn't make it, so I had to change my plans. looking at the figures in the box made me think of those butterflies in display cases and so I decided to give this a shot as well.


Brighella

Pulcinella

butterfly

9 comments:

Momo said...

Love your style. These pieces are fascinating to look at.

Coreopsis said...

These are lovely little boxes--so beautiful to look at. They are each indeed its own little world.

Silke Powers said...

These are just beautiful! So detailed and fragile looking. :) Silke

Joanne Stanbridge said...

I love the drama and delicacy of these--they're gorgeous!

aeneadellaluna said...

They are so exquisite! I would love to have one of those boxes :)

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

Outstanding work Aya, I love it!

ArtSparker said...

I particularly like that sinister harlequin. Such delicate work!

ELLA ELVIANA said...

great piece of art, lovely!

Marion said...

These are wonderful little wannahaves. Beautiful!