Friday, April 18, 2008

Illustration Friday - Primitive

Illustration Friday - primitive

The topic of this week's "Illustration Friday" was Primitive. It's a pretty tricky subject, I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. I guess a part of it was being upset about the whole term, as if there's only one way to be, only one type of intelligent and success and everything else is not as good. As if progress is always better over tradition.

I was looking online for inspiration, a visual way to express this idea, and came across some Edward S. Curtis photos from the 20's. I really liked the way he chose to show the native American as proud and strong, and as specific people, not just a symbol for a culture long gone.

available at my shop

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love the detail!

linda sarah said...

very beautiful illustration - and I love your blog too - amazing artwork, really wonderful!

Alberto GarcĂ­a said...

Nice drawing, I love that personal trace you have. Thank you for your commet :-)

Smiler said...

I was doing the same thing as you today - looking for inspiration on the internet. That word seems so loaded. That being said, I love you drawing.